With regular air conditioner maintenance, you can maximize the life of your unit, reduce your energy bills, and lower costly expenses associated with repairs. But you don’t always have to rely on the professionals for all maintenance—some of the most important maintenance steps can be done by the average homeowners. Follow these tips from Service One Air Conditioning to protect your system and improve efficiency levels throughout your Longwood home.
The importance of air filters cannot be stressed enough. When air filters are clogged, the airflow through your system is inhibited. Unable to pull in enough air for proper functioning, your air conditioner will struggle, leading to premature failure and mechanical breakdowns.
Filters cost a few dollars and only take a few minutes to change. Put a new one in place monthly to improve your energy savings and prolong the life of your system.
Clean the Compressor
Filters should be changed monthly, and your local Longwood air conditioning company recommends cleaning your compressor every spring.
- Start by disconnecting power to the unit either at the outdoor switch or the main panel inside.
- Use a shop vacuum with a soft upholstery attachment to clean the exterior of your compressor shell.
- Be sure to clean between the fins to remove dust and dirt.
- Using a screwdriver, carefully remove the top and set it to the side.
- Remove any leaves or debris from inside the compressor.
- With your garden hose on low pressure, gently rinse off the coils to remove remaining dirt and dust.
- Replace the top, tighten the screws and then restore power to the system.
Check the Drain
Whether your air conditioner drains to the outside of your home or into a special floor drain, take the time to inspect the end of the drain. Use the shop vacuum to make sure there are no critters living inside the tube. If you do find something in your drain, you can place special filters over your drain to make sure it doesn’t happen in the future.
Get Your Tune-Up
It’s also wise to invest in an annual tune-up. This is an important step that will help you avoid costly air conditioner repair later. A technician will inspect the unit, tighten the connections, lubricate the fans, and check the coolant level. This is an affordable service and will also help you lower your energy bills while enjoying a more durable system.
If you have any questions about air conditioner maintenance, call Service One Air Conditioning at (407) 499-8333 for assistance.